If you enjoy the outdoors, there’s no better place to live than Austin, Texas. With enjoyable weather and bicycle-friendly roadways, you may want to experiment with this mode of transportation to commute to and from work.
While bicycling has many benefits, including the ability to save money on gas and protect the environment, there are some safety risks to be aware of. Here are four safety tips you can follow when commuting on your bicycle:
- Watch for turning vehicles: Even if you’re in a bicycle lane, it doesn’t mean that every driver sees you. Every time you approach an intersection, beware of drivers who are making a right turn. If a driver doesn’t see you, they could turn directly into your path of travel.
- Avoid the door zone: It’s easy to focus your attention on moving vehicles, but you also need to consider those that are parked. A driver or passenger could open a door in front of you, thus causing you to either swerve or strike the door head-on.
- Take caution around pedestrians: Drivers aren’t the only ones that can cause an accident. If you spook a pedestrian, for example, this person could jump into your path, thus knocking you to the ground. Take extra caution by always doing your best to pass behind pedestrians.
- Use a bicycle lane when available: If there’s a bicycle lane to use, don’t ignore it. It’s much safer than driving in traffic or on the sidewalk. If there’s no dedicated bicycle lane, drive among the cars while following all the rules of the road.
What should you do after an accident?
Even if you follow these safety tips, you can never guarantee that you won’t be injured in an accident. If this happens, do the following:
- Immediately call 911
- Move to safety, if possible
- Administer first aid until paramedics arrive
- Accept transportation to a local hospital from the responding ambulance
Doing these things improve your chance of minimizing your injuries and making a full recovery.
If a negligent driver caused your accident with a motor vehicle, contact your insurance company to learn more about your policy and filing a claim. Also, there are other steps you can take to seek compensation.
Visit our website and read our blog for more information on all types of motor vehicle, bicycle and pedestrian accidents.