Pedestrian Accident: What Are Your Options for Compensation If the Driver Flees?

Pedestrian accidents are heart-wrenching events that can leave victims with severe injuries and emotional trauma. What compounds the distress in such cases is when the driver responsible for the accident flees the scene, leaving victims wondering if they’ll ever receive the compensation they deserve. In the state of Texas, where pedestrian accidents sadly occur all too often, understanding your options for compensation in hit-and-run situations is crucial. 

When faced with the aftermath of a hit-and-run pedestrian accident in Texas, you don’t have to navigate the legal complexities on your own. At Byrd Davis Alden & Henrichson, LLP, we specialize in personal injury cases. With a proven track record of success in advocating for victims of pedestrian accidents, we invite you to contact us for a consultation. 

What Are the Options for Compensation for Pedestrians if the Driver Flees?

Pedestrian accidents are unfortunately common, and they can result in severe injuries or even fatalities. When a pedestrian is struck by a vehicle, the immediate focus is on seeking medical attention and ensuring the victim’s well-being. However, what happens if the driver responsible for the accident flees the scene? In such cases, victims may wonder if they have any options for compensation. 

Contact the Authorities

The first step after a hit-and-run pedestrian accident in Texas is to contact the authorities immediately. Call 911 to report the accident, providing as much information as possible, including the description of the vehicle and driver if available. The police will conduct an investigation to try and locate the responsible party.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

In Texas, it is required that all auto insurance policies include uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage unless the insured person rejects this coverage in writing. This coverage can be incredibly helpful in hit-and-run situations. If you have UM/UIM coverage, it can step in to compensate you for your injuries and losses when the at-fault driver cannot be identified or is uninsured.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

Some auto insurance policies in Texas also offer Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage. PIP can help cover medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages, regardless of who is at fault in the accident. If you have PIP coverage, it can provide financial assistance while you pursue other avenues for compensation.

Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit

If the hit-and-run driver is identified, you may choose to file a personal injury lawsuit against them to seek compensation for your injuries. To do this, you’ll need to consult with a personal injury attorney who specializes in pedestrian accidents. They will help you gather evidence, assess the damages, and guide you through the legal process.

Crime Victims’ Compensation Program

In cases where the hit-and-run driver is not found or is uninsured, the Texas Crime Victims’ Compensation Program (CVC) can be a valuable resource. This program provides financial assistance to victims of violent crimes, including hit-and-run accidents. It can cover medical expenses, counseling, funeral expenses (if applicable), and other losses.

Consult an Attorney

Navigating the legal complexities of a hit-and-run pedestrian accident can be overwhelming, especially when dealing with injuries and emotional distress. Consulting with an experienced pedestrian accident attorney is highly recommended. They can help you understand your rights, negotiate with insurance companies, and represent your interests in court if necessary.

Seeking Fair Compensation? Contact an Experienced Pedestrian Accident Lawyer

In the wake of a hit-and-run pedestrian accident in Texas, the path to justice and compensation may seem uncertain, but it’s essential to remember that you’re not alone. By seeking the support of specialized pedestrian accident attorneys, you can pave the way to recovery. 

At Byrd Davis Alden & Henrichson, LLP, we are committed to standing by your side during these challenging times. We’ve successfully advocated for countless victims, helping them secure the compensation they needed to rebuild their lives. Your journey toward justice and healing starts with a simple call to our office. Let us help you reclaim your rights and work tirelessly to bring resolution to your case. Contact Byrd Davis Alden & Henrichson, LLP today for a consultation by contacting us through our contact form or calling (512) 454-3751.